The pandemic did not prevent Moscow Railways from taking second place in the network competition
According to the results of the second quarter, the Moscow Railway (MZD) took second place in the network-wide competition. The last time Moscow Railways achieved such results was in 2007. The head of the road, Mikhail Glazkov, tells about how it was possible to break out into the leaders, to work out during the pandemic and what tasks the road faces now.
– Mikhail Olegovich, the road took second place in the all-network competition by the results of the II quarter. When will we see you in first place?
– Despite the pandemic, we worked confidently in the second quarter, with a positive result in almost all rating indicators. This allowed us to take second place with a small loss to the Northern Railway. Having won this title, the staff of the highway, from specialist to manager, received the most important thing – self-confidence, understanding that we can achieve the highest results, be worthy of competition to our colleagues. The last time the Moscow Railway was in the prize-winners in 2007. I do not exclude that the thinking has taken root in people that due to the peculiarities of the road, large-scale transport projects being implemented at its testing ground, a high place in the network competition is unattainable.
Of course, the highway has its own unique specifics. The Moscow road has the most intensive passenger traffic, heavy freight traffic. In addition, large-scale reconstruction is underway at the Central Transport Hub, and a huge investment program is being implemented. In terms of numbers, 64%, or 240.6 million, of passengers transported to the network fall on the Moscow Railway, and in terms of cargo transportation in half a year we took 7th place on the network. In these conditions, every failure, every wrong action on the part of the management, enterprise or even a specialist negatively affects the rating indicators.
Therefore, returning to our summer achievement, I would like to highlight once again the leaders of all levels who were able to find and apply the necessary management and motivation tools, which as a result affected the operation of the entire road. And the fact that the teams have successfully completed the tasks indicates the correctness of the chosen strategy in working with people. We will adhere to it in the struggle for a higher place.
– Can you tell us more about your management principles?
– It is a systems management methodology that is based on proven management tools used in the world: PDCA cycle, process approach, 8D method, mapping and Pareto chart. This allows you to systematically work with the deep causes of deviations, thereby reducing the likelihood of their recurrence, to build a management system based on the formation of a culture of effective interfunctional interaction. In fact, this is a transition from intuitive management to conscious management. Simply put, each indicator has a surname and a numerical value. Therefore, it is possible to objectively assess the actions of managers and specialists, and motivate them accordingly. This toolkit has proven to be effective both under normal conditions and in a “perfect storm” situation,
Today the same management algorithm is being implemented by directorates and functional branches.
At the same time, we have something to work on. Not all problems are solved the way we would like. This is evidenced by the severe damage to the road – the crash of a freight train in the Tula region, which did not allow us to be among the contenders for the prizes in the third quarter of this year.
– You mentioned the impact of the pandemic on the operation of the road. They even described the situation as a “perfect storm”. What conclusions can be drawn based on the results of work during this period?
– The main conclusion is that the railway, unlike competing modes of transport, works always and in any conditions. We didn’t stop like air transport, didn’t stop carrying passengers and goods. This is our indisputable competitive advantage, which we are proud of and which entrepreneurs should take into account in their business plans.
The road, as the capital branch of Russian Railways, was the first to take the viral blow and was the first to develop measures that were then replicated and spread throughout the network.
We quickly switched to a remote mode of work, and today more than 5 thousand of our employees are working remotely, which is approximately 70% of the specialists recommended by the company for the transfer. Such measures made it possible to preserve the health and lives of our colleagues without reducing the rate of labor productivity. Digitalization helped a lot in this. The road in this direction is among the leaders. In advance, back in December, we began to work as planned to translate a number of documents and functionality of employees into digital. Therefore, when the pandemic situation escalated in March, we were prepared for it from this side.
I will especially note the experience of eliminating COVID-19 foci at enterprises. Upon detection of infected workers, the technological process was almost instantly rebuilt without prejudice to transportation, treatment and self-isolation of patients was organized, the premises were disinfected, the patient’s contacts were identified, followed by daily monitoring of his condition. This work was carried out by the Health Directorate and the personnel unit. Special thanks to the doctors. These are our modern heroes.
Good results were obtained by preventive activities, when the provision of personnel with personal protective equipment was timely established, and the production facilities were equipped with special devices – recirculators for air disinfection.
But the coronavirus has not been completely defeated. Periodically, we are faced with relapses. And in these situations, the underestimation of the insidiousness of the coronavirus by business leaders can lead to negative consequences. We now have a repair block in the Alexandrov motor car depot at risk.
By the decision of Russian Railways, the Moscow Department of Transport and the Ministry of Transport and Road Infrastructure of the Moscow Region, the volumes of suburban traffic in Mosuzl were preserved. This allowed the road as an employer to keep the staff at the enterprises during this difficult period without resorting to part-time employment. I will say more, at the time of the pandemic, the number of workers in certain production areas even increased. On the road, about 3 thousand suburban train carriages, 250 Swallow carriages of the Moscow Central Circle, 350 driver’s cabs are disinfected every day, and a special regime of pre-trip medical examination for locomotive crews is in place.
In a multi-million metropolitan area, we gained a unique experience of interaction with regional authorities, when, in the shortest possible time, railway transport was rebuilt to effectively resist coronavirus, in the interests of preserving people’s lives and health.
“In addition to passenger traffic, a lot of cargo work is carried out on the road. How do you attract customers?
– Loading is one of the key indicators that gives the highest number of points in the rating.
The decline in loading caused by the pandemic also affected our road. Due to the closure of borders and restrictions, we have lost transit cargo that used to go to Europe and the Baltic states.
In order to fill the gap, we began active work to attract additional domestic Russian customers and to develop in-road transportation. To accomplish this task, we have involved not only the territorial center of corporate transport services, but also the deputy heads of the road for territorial administration.
One of the effective solutions was their participation in the work of commissions in the industrial chambers of the constituent entities of the Federation. This made it possible to get closer to customers, establish the necessary business contacts, obtain information about the needs of the business and offer it optimal transportation parameters. The result was not long in coming. New clients from agricultural and industrial complexes came to the road.
The piggyback transportation service has shown itself very well, when heavy trucks with semi-trailers are transported on special platforms. It harmoniously combines the advantages of rail and road transport. This reduces the cost of transportation itself and, most importantly, speeds it up. The first semi-trailer as part of the piggyback train was sent in May from the Kuntsevo-2 station, now we are working on the issue of opening other stations to provide this service.
The Freight Express service is gaining popularity, which makes it possible to more than halve the delivery time. The number of trains carrying goods within the framework of this service has increased almost 6 times over the year. This became possible, among other things, by adding a new route from Losinoostrovskaya station to Labytnang and replicating the service itself. In addition, for the first time in August this year, the Grain Express project was implemented to send grain from the Kursk station.
The active development of transport and logistics centers continues in terms of the possibility of receiving and dispatching containers. Since the beginning of the year, container traffic has grown by more than 30%.
At the end of July, the first container train was taken to our container yard at the White Rast station from China. It took only six days to complete the route. This is several times faster than transportation by sea or by road. We are currently working on opening additional stations to provide this service.
Returning to the situation with the pandemic, I want to emphasize one more important aspect that it has vividly highlighted. This is the vital social significance of the railway, when only the railway was able to transport the cargoes that were urgently needed in the regions (medicines, food, disinfectants, etc.) in the required volumes. For example. In March alone, about 190 tons of medicines for the needs of the capital region arrived on the Moscow railway for delivery to health care institutions and a pharmacy network, 479.9 tons of medicines, almost 60 thousand tons of essential products were sent to other regions. In May, 840 tons of antiseptic and medical supplies were sent from MZD stations to other regions of the country. During a difficult period, the delivery of consumer goods by rail was not interrupted for a minute.
– The Moscow road has always been a pioneer in the field of passenger transportation. What surprise you today?
– Development, development and development again. All large-scale transport projects on the road, such as MCC, MCD, radial directions are dynamically developing, improving transport accessibility for residents of the capital and the Moscow region.
If the MCC project began the integration of railway transport into the urban transport system, then with the launch of the MCD it reached a new level. In fact, with their appearance, a new type of railway communication was created – suburban-urban, which implies a different approach to transportation, from the fare payment system to compliance with all the requirements for comfort in trains and at stopping points. We have changed the very idea of passengers about the train. Today, this is the type of transport for which you do not need to rush, and even more so to have a schedule at hand. Trains to the MCC run at least 4 minutes at rush hour intervals, at the MCD – up to 6 minutes, and on separate radial directions – also 4 minutes. The rolling stock has also changed. For example, the Ivolga trains used at MCD have fast and smooth acceleration and deceleration, additional vibration control systems have been installed, trains are equipped with Wi-Fi, sanitary facilities. Similar characteristics in terms of comfort and at the “Lastochkas” on the MCC.
Until recently, it was difficult to imagine, but today it has become a common reality.
It is also worth considering that the movement of electric trains in the Central Transport Hub is carried out against the backdrop of a gigantic construction site, which, by the way, did not stop for a moment, even in a pandemic. On the contrary, we used this time as an additional “window of opportunity” to increase the pace of construction and reconstruction. New or reconstructed stopping points are opened almost monthly in Moscow and the Moscow region, they meet the latest requirements for comfort, are beautiful and convenient. This year, 10 such stations have appeared on the map of the Central Technological University, and a new railway bridge across the Moscow River at MCD-1 has been put into operation. A significant event took place on September 7: the 4th main track was launched on the Mytishchi – Pushkino section of the Yaroslavl direction,
– Given the intensity of the development of the road, in the near future its prospects will be determined by a new generation of workers. How is work with youth organized?
– You’re right. Young people, their knowledge and energy are already seriously influencing, and very soon they will determine the future of the road. Therefore, we pay close attention to working with a shift.
According to my observations, there have been qualitative changes in the approach to life of young colleagues. For them, not only the material side of work has become important, the opportunity for self-realization, a sense of personal participation in achieving a common result are of particular value. To support this enthusiasm, last year we were the first on the road to create a youth asset. This form of association helps young people not to get lost in the hustle and bustle of production. The road asset helps in solving important social issues. The asset underwent a real test of its strength during the pandemic, when a whole volunteer movement was formed on its basis, 18 call centers with a multichannel hotline were organized. Not a single veteran railroad worker, an employee who is on self-isolation and who asked for help by phone, was left without support. Speaking about today’s youth, I am especially pleased to note their charitable impulse. The youth activists march over orphanages, help nursing homes – such generosity is commendable and a good example for many. To develop their professional and corporate competencies, our young people today participate in many competitions. These are the Leader of Russia, Team 2030, and competitions for innovative projects. The latter allow novice railway workers to fully reveal their technical potential, realize their idea and thereby contribute to the improvement of production processes. To develop their professional and corporate competencies, our young people today participate in many competitions. These are the Leader of Russia, Team 2030, and competitions for innovative projects. The latter allow novice railway workers to fully reveal their technical potential, realize their idea and thereby contribute to the improvement of production processes. To develop their professional and corporate competencies, our young people today participate in many competitions. These are the Leader of Russia, Team 2030, and competitions for innovative projects. The latter allow novice railway workers to fully reveal their technical potential, realize their idea and thereby contribute to the improvement of production processes.
In July, we launched a new project – a coaching club. It is available to everyone. Any employee can submit his project and, if desired, get under the supervision of the deputy head of the road or the head of the road. I met with two applicants, talked very fruitfully, colleagues suggested interesting ideas, and received recommendations from my side. A coaching club for an employee is an opportunity to implement a project, and for a mentor – to understand what is interesting for young people today.
– Taking into account the active digitalization of the industry, the question arises about the image of the railway worker of the future. How do you see him?
– Of course, this is a person deeply versed in digital technologies, able to work with big data, use artificial intelligence. If now a railway worker has purely industry-specific professional competencies, then in the future the competencies of a new formation will be added. For example, cybernetics, telecommunication information transmission systems. This is the main trend in our profession and in others. The level of digitalization is already very high at the MCC and MCD. The MCC has become an example of a digital railway today. There, we completely abandoned many manual operations of infrastructure maintenance. For example, information about the state of the track is continuously collected by one of the “Swallows” equipped with flaw detection and track measurement devices. We have been working at the MCD on the same principle since the beginning of the year. If we consider the state of the track on these sections, then since 2016 it has been possible to contain a point assessment of the route to the MCC at the level of 10 points. This is the highest level of reliability and stability of work.
– You have been leading the road for a little over a year. Did you succeed in achieving the goals that you set for the team and for yourself?
– Probably, to say that everything worked out to the end is wrong. At the same time, there are systemic results that the road can be proud of. Major transport projects are being successfully implemented at its test site, and this, believe me, is not easy. We have passed with dignity the most difficult, initial stage of the pandemic, when we had to promptly develop and implement solutions in conditions that no one had encountered before. By the way, this became a stress test for our management team, which withstood it with dignity. Therefore, much has been done. The plans for today are very serious. The main priorities are the successful solution of the tasks set before us by the company and the authorities of the constituent entities of the Federation.
– They say the Moscow road is very sporty. How do you develop road sports?
– I consider sports as one of the opportunities for self-improvement of an employee, a leader and as an effective management tool, forming an effective team aimed at achieving results.
There are 33 health and fitness centers on the road. Employees in their free time or during technological breaks can come to play sports. There is also a support system that allows employees to use fitness clubs with partial compensation.
We began to actively practice mass sports events. For example, volleyball tournaments. And now we are mastering a new sport for ourselves – floorball. This is a Finnish game, something similar to Russian hockey, only in the hall or in open areas and without skates.
As well as in production, the road has its own high sporting achievements. Most recently, among all railways, we won 3rd place in the online race dedicated to the 75th anniversary of the Victory.(Gudok.ru)