A shocking revealation has emerged on the salary structure of Nigerian Railway Corporation where a level 8 Officer earns N47,000 Monthly.
The parastatals under the supervision of Federal Ministry of Transport include:
1. Nigerian Shippers’ Council (NSC)
2. Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA)
3. Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA)
4. Nigerian Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA)
5. Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC)
6. Nigerian Institute of Transport Technology (NITT)
7. Maritime Academy of Nigeria (MAN)
Among these parastatals, Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) is the least paid.
A level 7 officer in some of the other agencies earn two times what a level 8 officer collect in (NRC) where a level 8 officer collects 47,000 naira per month.
Checks showed that morale is very low among railway staff. This is happening at a time the Federal Government is spending billions of naira on rail modernisation and expansion.
Our reporter learnt that railway workers may soon embark on industrial action unless a ministerial review committee is set up to study the salary situation and launch process of increament.
“Industrial peace in NRC may be shattered soon unless this gross injustice is amended”, a rail worker states